Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Love languages.

My children have different love languages.  Different than my own and different than each other.  Of course, this should be no surprise to me, I certainly didn't expect them to be the same (or even similar) type of person.  But it scares me that I won't know how to love them in the ways that they will understand.  A book became very popular when I was in college called The Five Love Languages about how people give and receive love in different ways, some through gift giving, some through quality time or words of affirmation or touch or acts of service.  I've heard that there's a similar book about understanding the love languages of children.  I'll have to start reading!  Until recently, Luke and Amelia's needs have been so basic -- healthy food, shelter, touch ... Maslow's hierarchy.  I can do that.  They are showing us new sides of themselves all the time now which is mostly exciting but quickly making me realize just how different they are.  I read today that, "We are students of our children – they don’t all need the same thing." (From a great blog called Chattingatthesky.com).  
 Last night I went to a mom's prayer group that was held in the prayer chapel.  A space that is beautiful and quiet and calm.  All the things (except the beauty ... life with kids is extra beautiful) that life with two toddlers is not.  The lady leading the group gave us the word "comfort" and then gave us a hour to pray about comfort for our children and to write our children letters.  In silence.  I used to love silence, I still do.  But the longer I've been a mom, the more it scares me.  There is a lot of space in silence.  And our house is anything but silent!  But "comfort" brought to mind the idea of "presence" ... How comforted I am by God's presence, how comforted our children are by our presence.  How I may not know how to love them perfectly but if I keep showing up and keep praying and keep loving ... they will get it.  They will know just how deeply they are loved.

1 comment: