Saturday, August 24, 2013

End of summer fun!

Counting some of our last berries of the year

Best buddies ... until one of them gets taken down by the other in 30 seconds :)

Sweet baby Eden!  We love you!

Hard to believe he'll fit a XXL like his daddy some day!

Dirt and trucks and blueberries make for happy toddlers -- and
therefore, a happy mama :)

One of the many things I said I'd never do before I had kids.
But yes, we now have a sandbox!  When it's an amazing yard sale
find and your kids love it, it's hard to pass up :)

Luke:  "Hmmm, I'll trade you one cucumber for one cherry!  Deal?"
We had FOUR days off together with very few plans and have been soaking in the last days of summer and some glorious family time.  There are certainly crazy parts in every day (come by any day at dinner/bath time to witness the circus!) and hard days ... but I feel like after 2.5 years we're actually at a place of having a really great rhythm with these two.  Scott and I don't feel like we're constantly behind on our sleep and just trying to get the essentials of life done.  My advice to new mamas (and I know many new mamas right now!) is:  give yourself time!  It takes a LOT of time to adjust to being a parents and a 24/7 caregiver to a tiny person (or people!).  It's hard to figure out life (or even what you're having for dinner) when you live on a couple hours of sleep a night.  Everyone told me when the twins turned one it would get so much easier.  I'm not sure it did!  Then I had two mobile babies who still woke up often at night and the logistics of getting everyone out of the house were still so tricky.  But every kid and situation is so different and you have to allow yourself grace and space to figure out your own kiddos.  And sometimes that takes longer than you think it "should" ... that's okay!!  Anyway -- I digress ...
This was the last weekend our favorite blueberry farm was open so we had to go twice!  We've got almost 150 lbs in the freezer partially because we love berries and still do smoothies every morning for the kids, so they'll definitely get used.  And partially because berry picking is the perfect toddler activity!  Outside, active, they get to help and be involved in the process, they are free to run and play ... and they get to sample the earnings of their hard work!  Hoping we still have another month (at least!) of nice outdoor weather.  I've never minded the rain or change of seasons but I dread keeping these two cooped up inside ... I guess that's what raincoats are for!

1 comment:

  1. I am in the middle of writing something very similar. haha..even down to saying "I digress" This is beautiful and so true.

    ReplyDelete