Thursday, August 30, 2012

End-of-summer treats!

We still have over a month of farmers markets to look forward to, so I won't grieve the end of summer produce yet!  But I've been having fun trying some new recipes with summer fruits and veggies.  I'll include a link to an amazingly yummy berry crisp recipe that I found on allrecipes.com (the link is here) and a great zucchini bread, which I make into muffins because they're the perfect snack size for the kids.  I also found the bread recipe on allrecipes.com (the link is here), can you tell what website is one of my favorites? :)  With the zucchini bread I make my normal substitutions, exchanging the oil for applesauce, adding an extra 1/2-1 cup of zucchini and using whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour.
My other recent "trick" for getting extra nutrition for the kids is smoothies.  They love them and they have no idea how much I'm packing into them (how long do you think I can keep it from them?)  I always do a yogurt and banana base for the texture and sweetness and then I usually add in kale and chia seed (which you can find at Trader Joe's and is an excellent source of omega 3s) and/or flax meal.  Then I add whatever else we have -- peaches, berries, etc.  It's the first thing the kids get when they wake up and now they race out of their rooms asking for their "juicey" ... So cute!  To be honest I'm not usually brave enough to try them (ugh!) but as long as they'll drink them, I'll make them :)  The other day Scott was doing the morning routine and didn't realize that Amelia has come to expect her "juicey" very first thing in the morning.  She threw a full on tantrum because he was blending it up and getting it ready.  Apparently the service wasn't quite fast enough.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment