Monday, September 22, 2014

On slowing down ...

"And here’s the thing: Too Busy is a Choice.  And Life is not an emergency — Life is a gift."  Thank you, Ann Voskamp, for doing it, yet again!  Writing in such a way that captures my attention and makes me remember what my priorities are.  Last week my kids were sick, not major sick, just the normal fever, coughs, snot and general crud that go along with being preschoolers.  My kids seem to get sick a lot, like every month.  Maybe because they were preemies?  Maybe just because kids get sick a lot?  I was bummed because we'd only made it through one week of preschool before we got sick.  And I had plans for the time while they were in school!  Plans for "my time" which mamas know doesn't come around very often!  So when they got sick I cancelled my chiropractic appointment and my hair cut and my time with a friend.  And I felt a little sorry for myself.  (This is coming on the tail of just having had to miss my annual college reunion because the kids were sick).  And I heard my love and logic parenting coming out (don't you hate it when it's used on you?!) --  "You have two choices, Katie, this week can be a wash because it isn't what you had planned or you can see this week as a gift!"  It has been a hectic few months with balancing two different jobs/parenting/life and what a chance to spend 4 days with just me and my kids  And so I chose the second one (most of the time :)) and what a great week we had. Despite being sick they were in good moods and I didn't get in my car for 4 days (so amazing) and we just did puzzles and art projects and snuggled.  We took walks around the neighborhood. We turned our two couches into our "pirate ship" and read books and books and more books.  We played dress-up and made cookies and painted our fingernails.  And here's the thing:  the kids didn't care one bit.  At their age they just want their mom or dad around when they don't feel well and they don't mind that their "plans" got changed.  Always has been and always will be a struggle for me to let go of my lists and ideas and planner and agenda.  Thankfully I have two little people who are always distracting me and helping me to realize there are much more important things to do that don't fit onto any list.  I never want my children to feel like I am too busy for them.  Too busy IS a choice.  Living slower is a choice too.  Motherhood is a humbling experience.  There are forever and ever things that we must come to learn about ourselves that aren't  pretty and parenting brings these things into view on a very regular basis.  And then we sing at bedtime, "Amazing grace how sweet the sound ...."  And we start tomorrow fresh and full of grace.

Not sure that "personal space" is part of their vocabulary!
 Maybe why they share so many viruses too?!


Stroller snuggles :)

"Okay, Sissy, here's the plan ..."

My therapy

In her element!



No comments:

Post a Comment