Tuesday, February 7, 2012

13 months!

Luke and Amelia are 13 months old!  I'll attach a few videos of their favorite activity right now -- cruising around and pushing whatever they can find -- chairs, toys, each other.  I feel like in the last few weeks we've been getting more glimpses into their personalities.  In the past I've been hesitant to verbalize too much about what I notice just because I don't want them to feel like they got labeled as "the quiet one" or whatever -- but they go through so many changes and I know that parts of what I notice will change and parts are likely there for good.
At this point, Amelia tends to come across as a bit shy.  It takes her awhile to warm up to new people and new situations.  When we got somewhere new she often will stay right by my side for a good 30 minutes before she's ready to venture out.  She gets overwhelmed in big groups of people (the church nursery is not her favorite place, I usually get paged after about 10 minutes to come pick her up).  She has a very sweet way of coming up to Scott or I and laying her head down on our lap or shoulder and looking up at us as if to say, "Mom, Dad, I sure do love you!"  It melts my heart!  She is very agreeable about things like having her teeth brushed and diaper changed (Scott and I both try to call dibs on Amelia when it comes time for baths/teeth brushing!)  Amelia is an amazing sleeper.  She usually sleeps at least an hour later than her brother in the morning and her naps are twice as long.  Thank you baby girl!
Luke can be quite a ham!  When I go to pick up Amelia in the nursery he's usually crawling around making friends with anyone and everyone.  He is quick to laugh and his laugh is so contagious! ... but also these days quick to melt down.  He's starting to throw tantrums (isn't it a little early?!)  If I take away something he wants he'll scream and throw himself on the ground, kicking his feet.  Really?!  It can be hard not to laugh sometimes at his antics.  Luke is an early riser but more often than not he'll fall back asleep on my chest (I move out to the couch with him so he doesn't wake up his sister) and we get a good hour of snuggle time which I love.
Everything I've read about parenting two at a time emphasizes the importance of one-on-one time for each kid which is something I've started trying to incorporate.  The other day I left Lukey at my parent's house and took Amelia to the store with me.  It felt so simple to just be able to put her in the cart and not navigate the double stroller :)  It was so sweet to just get to be with one baby for an hour and focus all my attention on her.  Luke will have to have a different type of outing since he tries to escape from the cart as quickly as possible!
Both babes are getting their molars right now ... ouch!  Two of Amelia's have come through and poor Luke just has swollen gums.   Now for the videos ...


No comments:

Post a Comment