Saturday, April 27, 2013

High highs and low lows ...

I've decided that living with toddlers means learning to navigate a world that is full of high highs and low lows  -- this is true of many stages of life, I know.  I think toddlerhood just brings it to light more than other phases.  Take this morning, for example, when I was crying in the bathroom an hour after they woke up.  The morning started well, with great intentions-- I got up a few minutes before the kids, had my coffee and even some prayer time.  But within a few minutes of them getting up we'd already begun the first round of time-outs and corrections about not hitting each other and why we share toys.  An hour into the day I thought I might scream if I had to hear myself say, "These are your two options right now -- you can choose which you'd like ..." (To all you Love and Logic parents out there!) one more time!  And then came the meltdown in the bathroom (after Amelia hit me!  What happened to my sweet children?!).  Scott and I have both realized in the last few weeks that the TWOS have arrived.  The actual age is different for each kid and family but we've hit the I-must-be-independent-of-you-and-must-test-every-limit-you-even-think-about-setting! stage.  It is exhausting.  We're reading multiple books on discipline and getting ideas from people to try to come up with some combination of methods that works well for our kiddos.
Thankfully, the low lows give way quickly to high highs (God's grace to parents of toddlers!) -- just a few minutes after the bathroom meltdown we were heading to a little neighborhood parade with Martha and the kids loved it! (On a side note:  Perhaps the best advice I've gotten on toddlers (from many different parenting books and anyone who has ever parented a toddler) is to get outside whenever possible.  Hence the reason the kids are in the yard at least 75% of their waking hours if it's not pouring down rain!)  The kids thought that the bands, horses, flags, people, excitement ... were pretty cool!
Later this evening we showed them their brand new bikes!  We got them 50% off (after a tip from Dani!  There are some great clearance websites for kids items!) ... They loved them!  They've started to notice people biking around a lot more and have been very curious about them so they were so excited to wear their helmets (yes, I'm a pediatric neuro nurse, they got heavy duty helmets!) and ride their new bikes.  The looks on their faces were truly priceless.
And that is this season of life:  joy-filled and draining and constant and lovely and difficult and challenging and full of laughter and snuggles.  I find myself face to face with my own sin and impatience far too often and need for His help and grace constantly.  This parenting thing is hard work.
Now for pictures of a few of the highs recently (I think that's part of why i love pictures and going thru them at night when it's finally quiet -- it helps me reflect and remember the beautiful moments that occur all day long while I'm too busy doing other things to stop and remember them and soak them up) ...

New bikes!!!

Parade season has begun :)

Meeting Baby Eden!  So thankful these three will get to grow up together!

1 comment:

  1. Precious words and pictures, Katie!! Yay for the bikes, they'll fit right in for Portland. : )

    ReplyDelete