Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Countdown to Christmas!!

Remember those paper chains you used to make in grade school to countdown to Christmas?  I think I may need one this year!  This year Christmas has extra special meaning -- on 12.24 the babes will be 30 weeks old!  In case you were wondering (or shopping or planning parties) Christmas Eve is 52 days away.  Yes, maybe I have too much time on my hands that I've got that figured out, but that is my goal.  Today we're 22 weeks and 4 days (I never knew every day could have so much meaning).  At 24 weeks the babies are considered viable, meaning they could possibly survive outside the womb.  But weeks 24 and 25 are a bit of a gray area because babes can have significant neurological and respiratory complications.  By 26 weeks most babies survive and many do very well.  For us, 26 weeks is the day after Thanksgiving.  The holidays will have special meanings this year!  By 30 weeks the babes would still need a month or more in the hospital but all of their vital organs would be fairly well developed.  I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse at this point to be a pediatric nurse ... On our unit we work with many kids who have medical issues related to prematurity which makes it  scary as a parent.  But for now, it's just one day at a time.  Trying to stay positive and have faith ... "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for ..." - Hebrews 11:1

3 comments:

  1. If they make it all the way to February 4th, it would be 36 weeks and 2 days before your birthday! Even better, Feb. 18th, which would be 38 weeks and give you a little Birthday space :) I mean, who wants to share their Birthday?!

    Love you guys! I'm sure every minute passes like a day...so I hope your days are peace-filled and very entertaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One paper chain will be coming your way...any color preferences?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you both lots. Just back from conference in Spokane and thought about what your haunts in town were, Katie. Stayed at the Davenport--lovely! Falls, spectacular with fall colors on the banks.

    Love you,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete