Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What's the rush?!

You know you're on bed rest when the highlight of the week is your appointment with the doctor.  Yesterday was the "big day" :)  Scott was working so my mom got to see Luke and Amelia on ultrasound for the first time.  I just love watching them play and interact together ... melts my heart.  The good news is that both babes look wonderful -- they weigh 1.5 pounds each which is actually a few days bigger than they should be right now which will be to their advantage if they arrive too early ... my high-fat, high-protein diet is apparently paying off (for them, not for me!)  The not-so-good news is that my cervix is only half the length that it was a week ago.  I was more than a little disheartened to hear that news.  It's most likely due to the increasing number of contractions I've been having (we've had to make two trips to triage in the last ten days due to contractions).  Babies -- what is the rush?!  So starting yesterday I'm on a combination of terbutaline, vistaril and indocin to try to calm down the contractions.  My doctor warned me that my time at home may not last much longer.  If the ultrasound next week shows any more changes I'll probably be admitted for IV medications.  They can't do that at this point because I'm not 24 weeks yet.  The medications are pretty miserable -- the terbutaline especially -- makes you feel like you've had about 14 cups of coffee! -- maybe would have been helpful when I was working night shift but not so much now!  But whatever it takes to keep these two in at least a few more weeks ...  Thanks for your emails, notes, cards ... I'm sorry I haven't been able to respond to all of them ... it's hard to type lying as flat as possible!  But know that I love hearing from people and appreciate our friends and family very very much ... more now than ever!

3 comments:

  1. I was so happy to hear your babies are growing and doing well. I'm thinking about you every day, Katie. I know what it is to want a family, and I know how healing it is when you finally look into your babies' eyes. I look forward to that moment for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you!!! And your sweet babies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, when I read your first two posts I couldn't believe how much we had in common, even the day we both went into pre-term labor! I was telling Arthur all about it and he said, "Um, but you only have ONE!" So I guess the difference is pretty huge! I think about you all the time and I am praying for you and your sweet Luke and Amelia. I love your name choices. We still haven't decided on ours yet and I told the little guy that he's going to have to keep cooking if he wants a name. My verse of the last two weeks was sent to me in an email a few hours before the labor started: "Be still, and know that I am God." I've definitely never been so still in my life, and I just keep remembering that HE is HERE, and every day he is sustaining the lives of our babes. "He who started the work will be faithful to complete it in you!" XOXO, Lindsay

    ReplyDelete